What Is NYC Care
NYC Care is a health care access program that guarantees low-cost and no-cost services offered by NYC Health + Hospitals to New Yorkers who do not qualify for or cannot afford health insurance based on federal guidelines.
NYC Care is the nation’s largest and most comprehensive initiative to guarantee health care for New Yorkers, regardless of immigration status or ability to pay.
New Yorkers who are eligible for health insurance will be directed to the city’s public choice health plan MetroPlus.
With NYC Care, you can:
- Get a unique membership card to access health care at NYC Health + Hospitals patient care locations across the city
- Choose your own primary care provider
- Receive preventive care like vaccinations, routine screenings and mammograms to stay healthy
- Get mental health support and substance abuse services
- Get your first appointment in two weeks or less
- Talk to customer service representatives who speak your language and can help you day or night
- Get access to low-cost prescription medications day or night
- Get support from a primary care team that also includes nurses, medical assistants, social workers, pharmacists, and nutritionists
- Afford quality health care. There are no membership fees, monthly fees, or premiums. Your cost to receive health care is based on your family size and income
- You must live in the five boroughs of New York City
- Must not qualify for any health insurance plan available in New York State
- Not be able to afford health insurance based on government guidelines
If you do not qualify for NYC Care or any health insurance plan, you may be eligible to receive services under the NYC Health + Hospitals Options program.
As a NYC Care member, you will receive a membership card in the mail. Your card is unique to you and shows your fees for health care services.
Carry your membership card when:
- Visiting your primary care provider
- Getting health care services at any NYC Health + Hospitals patient care location
NYC Care is designed to make health care affordable. There are no membership fees, monthly fees, or premiums. You will pay for the services you receive based on reduced rates determined by your family size and income.
View in: English | Español | Shqip | العربية | বাংলা | Français | Kreyòl Ayisyen | हिंदी | 한국어 | Polski | Русский | 简体中文 | 繁體中文 | اُردُو
Is NYC Care an insurance plan?
NYC Care is not an insurance plan. It is a health care access program that guarantees services offered by NYC Health + Hospitals to New Yorkers who do not qualify for insurance, or are unable to afford insurance. Under NYC Care, you will have a similar experience to what people with health insurance have such as a membership card, a regular doctor, high-quality customer service, access to affordable medications, and more.
How much will I have to pay for services?
You will pay based on what you can afford. Discounted fees are determined by your family size and income, and start at $0. There are no membership fees, monthly fees, or premiums.
Where can I get health services?
As a member of NYC Care, you will be able to get services at any NYC Health + Hospitals patient care location in the five boroughs, including 11 hospitals and dozens of community-based health centers.
What language access services are available to NYC Care members?
NYC Care is committed to serving patients no matter what language they speak. NYC Care provides services in many languages, including written translations and in-person or telephonic interpretation. Currently, interpretation services are available in over 250 languages and dialects at NYC Health + Hospitals.
Will my privacy be protected?
The health care professionals at NYC Health + Hospitals are committed to keeping private your personal information. We do not record information regarding your immigration status. Seek care without fear. Enroll in NYC Care today.
How can I learn more or enroll in NYC Care?
Call 1-646-692-2273. We speak your language. Your privacy and confidentiality are guaranteed.
How soon can I renew my NYC Care membership?
NYC Care members can renew their membership up to 30 days before their card’s expiration date. To find the expiration date, check the front of your card for the 'effective through' date.
How do I renew my NYC Care membership?
NYC Care will have a financial counselor at NYC Health + Hospitals screen you every 12 months.
Please have the documents you used to enroll available.
The screening will show if you are eligible for health insurance.
If not, the financial counselor will help you renew your NYC Care membership.
To connect to a financial counselor and renew, call 1-646-NYC-CARE (1-646-692-2273)